Friday, May 16, 2008

Emerging Technologies and Web, Library, & Teen Services 2.0

"This shift will result in taking the traditional library of sterile spaces, static collections, and vanilla catalogs to the next level in a variety of ways (Young Adult Library Services, Winter 2007)." I think the concept of creating library spaces that are catered to today's generation of teens and young adults is definitely intriguing. I know from my experience, I would be more inclined to spend more time in an environment that I found comfortable and inviting. School libraries are definitely sterile feeling. The old concept of "shhhh.... not talking in the library" is nearly dead and gone. Today's teens have no problem listening to music, talking on the phone and carrying on 3 different conversations online with friends. I still to this day cannot read without falling asleep unless I have music playing. After working in the high school system for two years, I have this image of the next generations babies being born with ipod headphones already coming out of their ears! (creepy I know!) And you can't tell me it isn't slightly odd to see a 50-60 year old man walking around the grocery store with an ipod in his ears! Something about today's youth pulls off the look better! Most students complete their homework at home in their bedrooms, where they are surrounded by their own style of decor and music. Grasping onto and taking our schools libraries to the "next level" by incorporating different interior design as well as allowing students access to a variety of different technological tools should only prove to be conducive to their motivation for completing their assignments. I am not implying that libraries need to blast the lasted Indy-rock music loud enough for the next town to hear, but allowing the students to feel welcomed in all the different shapes and sizes they come in these days might very well work!

I felt the article "Emerging Technologies Changing Public Library Service Delivery Models" was the most complete and thorough peice in regards to describing and informing the user of all the different types of technologies that are available today. Most of the information was simple to understand and helpful by suggesting ways of using each peice of technology. Although most of the examples were geared to the library's use of technology I could easily adapt most suggestions to fit the classroom environment. For example, I could use podcasts in the classroom in the same manner a librarian could by providing short, informational episodes about one issues combining voiceover by a host and interviews with clients (guest speakers, persons of interest, etc.) Students might find listening to an interview is more interesting that reading about one on a worksheet. Or, I could give weekly updates about what is going on in your library (or classroom) for students who are absent or wanted a reminder. The best example I thought of for using a podcast was to provide professional development for staff. My collegues and I always ponder why during in-service meetings we are never asked to present the lastest data or information in our subject area. I think teaching an in-service on creating and using podcasts in the Physical Education classroom would be interesting and also serve to teach other subjects who they could integrate podcasts into their subject areas.

1 comment:

Scott Sailor, EdD ATC said...

I like your insight into this article. We will get to making our own podcasts later in this class. I hope you enjoy it.