Saturday, May 31, 2008

The amazing wonderful world of podcasts....

This assignment kinda depressed me. I made a very tragic and devastating discovery while I was folding my laundry last week and this assignment only perpetuates the pain... I ACCIDENTALLY sent my pink iPod shuffle through the washer and dryer in the pocket of my sweatshirt!!!! And now that i've spent time discovering all the cool podcasts and even subscribing to some, I can't even download them to anything beyond my computer! (Good thing my anniversary is coming up.. I think I've dropped enough hints) So aside from having to be reminded that I am now subject to listening to only my very loud breathing when I run, I enjoyed this assignment because I discovered what I've been missing out on. My husband just recently discovered the wonderous world of podcasts and now downloads an ESPN podcast to listen to while he does yard work or walks the dog. I thought he was kinda nerdy for doing this, because I only thought music was what an iPod was used for, but apparently I was wrong. I typed in "Physical Education" into the search engine for podcasts and that didn't yield very many hits. So then I tried "Fitness" and whola! There were so many to choose from. I looked into quite a few and eventually added 3 of them to my bloglines account so I can be updated when new ones are downloadable. I have only been able to listen to the demos that they provide on bloglines because I am staying at my in-laws place while they are on vacation (they have AC and a pool.. we don't have either) and they do not like to download ANYTHING to their computer. So I must wait until I go back to my place to actually explore the podcasts in full detail. Though I must say, I am already seeing the potential for using podcasts in my classroom. I think I could easily create a weekly or maybe monthly assignment out of these. Something like having my students listen to a podcast and then summarize it and try to describe how they would apply what they learned to their fitness plans... or something like that... I think not only would I love it, I think the kids would really like it because it's something on their level. Technology like this being integrated into the classroom is something unheard of and I think that would provide buy-in! I'm getting chills thinking about how this would work!!....

No comments: